Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Brit Hume Award

I propose that we create a "Brit Hume Award" for careless, thoughtless utterings in the religious arena.

For those who might be wondering what I'm talking about, Brit Hume, erstwhile newsman on Fox, recently offered his opinion that Tiger Woods, in order to acheive full forgiveness for his manifold sins, needed to convert from Buddhism to Christianity. You can read about it here, from Cathy Lynn Grossman's blog at USAToday.

Hume has every right to offer his opinions; that's what he gets paid to do. My beef is the "Christianity or the highway" theology that says "We Christians got it right; the rest of you are damned to hell" or whatever. I've never been a believer in that kind of theology. Who am I to judge others (see Matthew 7:1)?

No comments:

Post a Comment